Weakened immunity – causes, symptoms and ways to strengthen it
Today, there will not be an entry about weight loss and preparations supporting it, but about an equally serious health problem, which is undoubtedly a decrease in immunity. It affects us especially now, during the winter and spring solstice, characterized by rapid, difficult to predict changes in the weather. It is an ailment which should in no way be underestimated, and any disorders in the functioning of our immune system may lead to the development of many dangerous diseases.
Immune system – its function in the body
Immunesystem, known simply as the immune system, is one of the most important systems of the body, taking care of our safety and maintaining full health and vitality in every moment of our lives. We can safely risk a statement that if it wasn’t for it, we wouldn’t survive even one day in the world and it starts working practically from the day we are born. Its main task is to constantly protect us from all pathogens, toxins, bacteria, viruses, or equally dangerous fungi, leading to infections, sometimes even life-threatening. Another role that the immune system has to play is to help regenerate damaged cells or even tissues, for which nature has equipped it with many powerful tools that constitute our true line of defense, such as:
- internal elements, cells specialized for just this one purpose, lymphocytes, or white blood cells, of which there are several types, distributed in different parts of the body, including the lymphatic system. They are able to recognise the type of infection and react accordingly, producing antibodies, proteins able to eliminate once and for all any intruder. Equally important are the phagocytes, another special cell called a “feeding cell”, found in our lymph nodes. They begin to act when an infection has already occurred, increasing body temperature and secreting a substance that destroys most microorganisms;
- external elements that provide mechanical protection, primarily the skin, nose hairs, eyelashes, which effectively trap the larger contaminants, not allowing them to penetrate into the body. Important are also some secretions, especially saliva, tears, urine, or gastric juices, characterized by an acid reaction and bactericidal properties.
Weakened immunity – the causes that can cause it
Although the body in most cases independently copes with reduced immunity, there are situations when this natural protective barrier is at least weakened. There are many reasons for this, and in addition to the natural ones, lack of immunity can be caused by existing medical conditions or even congenital defects undetected earlier. If it already happens to us, we should pay attention to whether it was not caused by such factors as:
- bad eating habits, improperly chosen diet, in which the most important nutrients are missing, we eat too much processed food, with a high content of fats, thus weakening the immune cells themselves. First of all, we must take care of the right amount of vitamins, A, B, vitamin C and E, which eliminate free radicals, increase the production of interferon, anti-inflammatory and antiviral;
- reduced mental condition, as important for health as the physical one, life in constant stress, fatigue, insomnia and even depression;
- lack of physical activity, daily exercise, even just a walk in the fresh air or riding a bike, has a beneficial effect on the production of white blood cells, toughening up the body and making it naturally resistant to most autumn and winter infections. Physical condition is also weakened when the body is overheated, and a frequent reason for this is too high a temperature in the house;
- inappropriate clothing, not adapted to the current weather conditions. In autumn, winter and early spring it is best to dress in the so-called onion style, do not forget to wear a cap to protect the head, through which we lose most heat;
- abuse of alcohol and other stimulants, cigarettes, coffee or strong tea, which flush vitamins and minerals from the body and increase the amount of especially dangerous free radicals;
- taking certain drugs, especially antibiotics, which destroy not only pathogenic bacteria, but at the same time weaken and disrupt the natural bacterial flora, an important element of a properly functioning immune system.
Lowering of immunity – how to strengthen it by natural means
Our body immediately reacts to any problems with lowered immunity, regardless of what causes it. We become weakened, we have no strength not only for work but also for many basic daily activities, also catching all possible infections, and to support the immune system you can use the best natural methods. In order to avoid the disease or at least minimize its effects and alleviate its symptoms, it is enough to stick to several rules, and it can help us
- supplying the body with large amounts of the mentioned vitamins, especially C and it is best in a natural form, and most of it can be found in fruits and vegetables, which should become an important part of the diet. It should also include honey, full of nutrients and enzymes that beneficially stimulate the immune system;
- use of herbal treatments, and the most commonly recommended herb is purgative, a natural remedy for the common cold, increasing immunity, also having antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antifungal properties
- eating at least one warmmeal a day, preferably a warming, nutritious but healthy soup with lots of vegetables
- adequate rest, relaxation after a hard day’s work relieving stress, a hot bath with your favorite oils, meeting with friends and, above all, sleep, at least 7 – 8 hours a day;
- limiting, of course as far as possible, contact with sick people, combined with taking care of personal hygiene, frequent hand washing, which helps to avoid spreading dangerous germs found in public places;
- supplementation of the body with preparations based on natural, even herbal ingredients.
Such behaviour should become a habit, thanks to which we will protect not only ourselves but also the whole family, and winter and the first still rainy spring days will bring us only joy, and not flu, cold and catarrh.