Maca root (Peruvian ginseng) – for weakened libido and other health problems
Natural medicine has become a permanent fixture in our lives, helping us cope with many ailments without having to use pharmacological agents, which are certainly effective, but carry many disturbing side effects. Sometimes it is better to use what nature gives us, bet on the power of herbs and other plants with proven healing properties. They help alleviate various ailments, and some, such as Maca root, are even characterized by complex health-promoting effects, which is why it is worth introducing it into your daily diet.
- 1 Maca root – known and used for thousands of years
- 2 Maca root – unique composition, effective for many ailments
- 3 Maca root – broad health applications
- 4 Maca root – side effects and contraindications
- 5 Maca root – recommended uses
Maca root – known and used for thousands of years
The numerous healing properties of the Maca (lepidium meyenii, lepidium peruvianum) root, also known as Peruvian ginseng or pepper grass, require a more detailed description. However, before we do that, we need to learn about its origin and interesting history, as it has been known and used for several thousand years, initially by the Incan tribes living in what is now Peru as a means of increasing male potency and giving strength to Incan warriors. It was brought to our continent by the conquistadors in 1549 and thus began its brilliant “career” lasting until today. It is most often used in medical preparations in a powdered form, in which, fortunately, it loses none of its valuable properties described below.
The Maca root is a plant belonging to the cabbage family, similar to cabbage or rapeseed grown in Poland. It comes from South America, where it grows in the wild in hard-to-reach regions of the Peruvian Andes, at altitudes exceeding 4000 meters. Vegetation in such extreme conditions required adaptation, so peppergrass is a small shrub that rarely exceeds 20 cm in height. It has small leaves strongly clustered around the stem, and the growth period lasts as long as 8 months. Natural medicine uses the characteristic root, which resembles our radish in appearance, ranging in color from white, through yellow and red, to purple and black.
Maca root – unique composition, effective for many ailments
Maca root, both in powdered form and as an ingredient in numerous dietary supplements, has a positive effect on many aspects of our health. This is directly related to the wealth ofvaluable nutrients it contains, and in its composition it has, among others:
It has an exceptionally wide range of effects, including anticancer, strengthening weakened immunity, antiseptic, antiviral, conditioning proper vision, regulating the growth of tissues in our body and the work of the nervous system. It keeps the skin healthy by accelerating its regeneration, removing redness, fighting the effects of acne, it also prevents hair thinning and loss.
They can be safely considered essential, without which the body is not able to function properly, because they have such a wide impact on virtually all its systems and organs. Unfortunately, our body does not produce and store most of them, so they have to be supplied from external sources, including preparations that have maca lepidium, or Maca root, in their composition. Among the vitamins of this group, which it contains, it is worth mentioning:
- Vitamin B1, thiamine, which ensures the proper functioning of the heart, circulatory system, nervous system and muscular system. It also supports natural immunity, has antioxidant properties, prevents kidney damage, enhances memory and concentration;
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin, actively participating in the process of red blood cells production. It is responsible for the functioning of the peripheral nervous system, health of the mucous membranes lining the digestive system, protects against cataracts, prevents hair loss, has anti-inflammatory properties;
- vitamin B3, niacin, deficiencies of which manifest themselves in disorders of the nervous system, resulting in problems with concentration, memory, and may lead to insomnia. It also supports blood circulation, thanks to which one can count on better blood supply to the penis and thus a strong and long-lasting erection;
- vitamin B6, pyridoxine, participating in numerous and important processes in the body, synthesis of proteins and nucleic acids conditioning correct growth and development, metabolism of fats and carbohydrates, production of haemoglobin and antibodies necessary for functioning of the immune system. It supports heart and circulatory system, regulates blood pressure, prevents many diseases such as ischemic heart disease.
The popular ascorbic acid is one of the strongest antioxidants, thanks to which we get rid of Reactive Oxygen Forms (ROS), i.e. free radicals. They pose a serious threat to health, because they are responsible for the development of many diseases, including the most serious cancers, including prostate cancer or testicular cancer.
Vitamin C also increases the assimilability of iron and, like riboflavin, takes part in the production of red blood cells. It also participates in the synthesis of collagen, seals and strengthens weakened walls of blood vessels, reduces the level of “bad” cholesterol and high blood pressure, helps restore the efficiency of joints.
Micronutrients and other ingredients
Just as necessary for mental and physical health as the vitamins described above that are part of the Maca root. The amount of minerals it contains can also be astonishing, and this inconspicuous root contains:
- Zinc, probably the most important element that needs to be regularly supplemented, present in nearly 200 enzymes in our body, participating in many metabolic processes, regulating hormone levels in the blood, including testosterone, increasing fertility. It strengthens blood vessels, improves memory and general intellectual performance, and is responsible for proper bone mineralization and health of hair and nails;
- copper, another antioxidant, an element which at the same time counteracts many disorders of the heart and circulatory system, has an antibacterial effect, thanks to which it supports the immune system, takes part in the synthesis of proteins and red blood cells responsible for delivering oxygen to all cells of the body
- iron, also having a significant impact on its functioning, another element that we need to supply from outside, and this can be done with the help of dietary supplements containing Maca root powder. Iron actively fights microorganisms, bacteria and viruses that threaten our health, the nervous system cannot function properly without it, and it helps fight overweight and obesity. Its lack leads to disorders of the digestive system, flatulence or constipation, increases the risk of diabetes, disrupts the hormonal balance, and may even lead to depression;
- manganese, a microelement that is particularly important for our nervous and skeletal systems, preventing the development of osteoporosis. Manganese deficiency can also cause hearing problems, hair loss, excessive dryness and cracking of the skin, as well as a significant weakening of libido, a noticeable decrease in sexual performance.
When we use dietary supplements or other preparations with peppermint grass, we also supply the body with other nutrients it needs:
- amino acids;
- fatty acids Omega – 3 and Omega – 6;
- proteins, about 10%;
- carbohydrates, nearly 80%;
- Plant sterols: campesterol, sitesterol and stigmasterol;
- dietary fiber;
- l – arginine.
Maca root – broad health applications
Such a rich composition of the plant must automatically translate into equally broad health-promoting properties, and the Maca root really has nothing to complain about. Its effects, also according to many specialists, are comprehensive and thanks to that it can be used for such things as:
Strengthening a weakened libido and a strong erection
This is probably the most well known action of Maca root and that’s why we describe it first. Its composition greatly enhances sexual performance and it is mainly l-arginine, a chemical compound classified as an amino acid, that is responsible for it. It takes part in the synthesis of nitric oxide, responsible for
- regulating blood pressure;
- strengthening and sealing weakened walls of blood vessels.
Thanks to this, blood flow is increased, also to the penis, resulting in a strong erection, which can be easily maintained throughout intercourse. At the same time, the sensitivity to stimuliincreases, which intensifies the feeling of pleasure during an intercourse.
Peppermint is also worth appreciating for its beneficial effect on increasing fertility. In men, its effects are manifested by increased productionand higher motility of sperm. What is also responsible for this is l-arginine, which constitutes almost 80 percent of the proteins making up the seminal fluid.
In women, in turn, the effect on fertility is based on regulation of the hormonal balance, increasing the level of sex hormones. The higher amount of secreted estrogen effectively eliminates most problems with ovulation. At the same time, the nutrients contained in it improve the general state of health, and a strong female body gives a greater certainty of carrying a pregnancy and excellent conditions for the development of the fetus.
Relieve the troublesome symptoms of menopause
The use of Maca root supplements designed for women, brings with it another benefit. It helps relieve the most troublesome symptoms of menopause, vaginal dryness, mood swings and sudden hot flashes. Studies have shown that it also increases bone density, thus reducing the risk of the aforementioned osteoporosis.
Effective protection against stress
What is possible thanks to the fact that peppergrass is a plant with adaptogenic properties that significantly increase the body’s resistance to stress and similar states of nervous tension. They can ruin health in a short time and not only mental well-being, because they also have a negative effect on physical condition and endurance. By weakening immunity, they make us more vulnerable to infections and diseases.
Improve intellectual abilities
Regular use of Maca root also helps maintain full intellectual capacity, enhances concentration and memory, speeds up recovery after a heavy workout, increases cognitive abilities so we are able to absorb and remember more information in less time.
Better condition and muscle development
This root is willingly used by people who are active in sports, for whom it is a means to safely increase the body’s efficiency, which is also useful for people who work out. This property was already used by the Peruvians hundreds of years ago, when Inca warriors took it before battle to add strength and greater resistance to the negative effects of fatigue.
Maca can be successfully used in strength training aimed at building muscle mass. The high plant sterol content makes it act in a way similar to anabolic steroids, but at the same time it is completely free of their side effects. Muscles grow faster and in a shorter period of time, and other ingredients add energy necessary for regular exercise.
Maca root – side effects and contraindications
Lepidium meyenii has another advantage that is definitely worth highlighting. Unlike many other plants used in herbal medicine, it has not been found to have any side effects. It can only cause relatively mild stomach discomfort when doses are exceeded.
As far ascontraindications are concerned, it is not recommended for pregnant women as there are no conclusive results of research on how it affects the fetus. It should also not be used by people with thyroid diseases, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism or Hashimoto disease.
Maca root – recommended uses
There are several ways to use the root, you can add it in powdered form to meals or drinks, although initially it will be difficult to get used to its specific taste. There are ready-made food products with it in their ingredients, such as energy and healthy bars, which can be used to replace sweet and fattening snacks. If the use of Maca is aimed at strengthening weakened libido and erections, then dietary supplements will be the best solution, which you can get acquainted with by checking our ranking of non-prescription potency pills.